Saturday, October 12, 2019

"Midweek and Big Questions!" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 10/09/2019



A few weeks ago a friend sent me a card that read “What if I had never met you?”  The question set me back a bit.  What if I had never met this friend?  I began to think about all the things I would have missed out on.  This person lives life with enthusiasm. I would miss her enthusiasm.  She is a people person, and she often leads me into relationships with others that enrich my life.  She has an adventurous spirit, and she invites me on those adventures.   She also introduced me to coffee shops and enjoying an hour talking with someone in a coffee shop.  And she is a walker.  I am in better health because she invites me to walk with her.  What if I had never her?  Look at all I would have missed out on!
This Sunday is BIG Sunday here at WDMUMC, and we will be asking big questions: 
What does your faith mean to you? What does this church mean to you?
As you think of a response, maybe it is easier to ask the way the question appeared on the card I received.  What if you had no faith? Or what if you had never been a part of this church?  How would your life be different?
If I had no faith, I have no idea what I would be doing.  I do know that I would be very sad.  My faith gives me hope.  Faith greets when I wake up in the morning.  Through faith, I can look ahead with an expectation of God at work in the world and in my life.  Faith leads me forward when I really have no idea where I am headed or what I might encounter.  Faith gives me courage.  Faith is a powerful antidote to anxiety.  And faith makes me a better person, more willing to accept, more willing to forgive, more willing to acknowledge that I am only human and dependent on a loving God.
And this church?  I can not imagine my life if I had not found this church.  This is where my faith has developed.  Twenty-seven years ago, my family moved to West Des Moines and on one of our first Sundays in town we attended worship services here.  We intended to do some church shopping, but our then 5th-grade daughter attended Sunday school and afterward announced that this was our new church. Period.  We never looked back.  Our children grew up here.  They went off to camp with other children from WDMUMC.  They set off on youth mission trips.  One daughter was married here.  Dave and I attended Sunday school.  We studied scripture.  We served at the State Fair Stand.  We heard sermons that reshaped our world to look more like God’s intention.  We were challenged.  In 2003, I set off for seminary, launched from this church.  This church changed the direction of my life.  In many ways, I owe this church the life I now live.
What does my faith mean to me?  Strength and hope and courage.
What does this church mean to me?  A place to refuel to live an abundant life.  
I would like you to take some time to think about those questions this week.  On Sunday you will have an opportunity to share what your faith and this church means to you.  As you come into the church, if you want to, you can write your responses on tagboard.  During worship you can hold up your sign stating what your faith and this church means to you.
This is the beginning of our stewardship campaign. Next Sunday we will make our financial commitments.  In response to all that God has done for us, we will make an investment in this church, an investment in the power of faith. 
See you Sunday.
Blessings,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826
Like us on Facebook or visit us at WDMUMC. 
We worship on Sunday mornings in a traditional way at 8:30 and in a casual way at 11.  We also live stream our worship service on Facebook.  However you worship, we would love to worship with you.
This week at WDMUMC
Midweek Refuel!  Tonight the church gathers! 
  • For music!  The Christ Chimers children’s bell choir meets from 5-5:30.  Children’s choirs at 5:30.  The adult choir meets at 7:30.  The Praise Band meets from 6-7.  You are invited to bring your voice and talent and join in!
  • For study!  Happy Hour Bible Study meets from 5-6.  You are invited!
  • For fun and fellowship!  The children and youth meet at 6:30.  And you and your children are invited!
  • For supper!  Our supper is served from 5:30-6:30.  A great meal!  You pay what you can afford.  The generosity overflows!  The extra funds we receive are used to address hunger issues in our community.  We have pledged that as far as possible we will ensure that Everybody eats!
Midweek Refuel will be all the better if you join us!
Hunger Weekend!
  • Meals from the Heartland!  We will pack meals on Saturday from 9-11 at the Meals from the Heartland Headquarters at 357 Lincoln Street in West Des Moines.  You are invited!  You can also make a special gift to support this hunger work. 
  • The Des Moines Hunger Hike!  Sunday at 1:30 at the World Food Prize headquarters in Downtown Des Moines. 
Call the church if you would like to participate—or simply show up!  I will be there!
Senior Lunch!  Tuesday, October 15 at 11:30!  Great lunch for our senior disciples!  After lunch the missions team will share what our church is doing in our neighborhood and beyond.  Call the church to make your reservation!
Volunteers Needed!  Thursday (tomorrow!) at 6:30 the church will be preparing a special mailing and we need help!  If you would be willing to volunteer, reply to this email! 

No comments:

Post a Comment