Wednesday, November 4, 2020

"Midweek: What is Important to You?" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 11/04/2020


 

What do you love?  What is important to you?  What makes you weep? 

Yesterday was Election Day.  As I write this, the outcome of the election has not been determined.  This prolonged process has given me a lot of time to think about why we vote the way we do.  I think our votes are based on what we love, what is important to us, and what makes us weep.

What do I love:

  • Children
  • The way truth makes things clearer
  • Trees
  • Scripture
  • Family and friends.  I love them so much I want everyone to have them. 
  • A big table surrounded by friends and laughter
  • How generosity makes just about anything possible
  • the peacefulness of moonlight
  • a ministry that links people together in surprising ways and becomes more than they thought it could be

What is important:

  • Making sure everyone has a voice
  • Respecting others
  • Education

What makes me weep:

  • Violence in all its forms
  • Hunger
  • Abuse
  • Loneliness
  • The loss of a friend
  • Suffering
  • The shame people can carry with them for years
  • Our longing for peace
  • Drawing closer and closer to God

The person I voted for may or may not win.  And even if he does, these things that I value may or may not be addressed.  God has spoken to me and given me these things to love, to regard as important, to weep over.  The question for me today as we wait for the outcome of the election is not what the winner of the election will do, but what will I do about the things I love, the things that are important to me, the things that make me weep? 

What if God has elected you and me to change the world?    What if today is our Election Day?  Where should we begin?  

Blessings,

Pastor Cindy

Pastor Cindy Hickman

West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at WDMUMC.org.  We worship online at 9:30 on Sunday mornings.  You will find us on Facebook.

This week at WDMUMC

Bridges!  Our November sermon series is called “Bridges” and we are talking about how to overcome the things that divide us.  This Sunday we are smack dab in the center of a family feud.  Read Genesis 33:1-17 to prepare.  What bridges do you need to build?  Let’s pray about it. 

The Search for a New Senior Pastor Our current senior pastor is old.  (I know because I look at her in the mirror every morning.) It is time to replace her.  She will be leaving in the spring.  We want to find someone who fits our plans and dreams for the church.  To do that we are using a Congregational Assessment Tool to survey our church.  If you have not already filled it out, please do so.  You can find it on our webpage at WDMUMC.org or call the church and we will get a copy to you.  Thanks for your thoughts! Let’s dream about our future. 

This week we are also making plans for Advent.  Watch this space!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment