Wednesday, July 8, 2020

"Midweek and Knowing God" Pastor Trevor's Devotion 07/08/2020



Hello Church Family!

We’re in this new sermon series on Knowing God. I talked in my sermon on Sunday how one of the ways we know God is through the holy scriptures. How often do you read your bible? No judgment here, before I was a pastor, I surely wasn’t reading it enough. It helps to get paid to read it ;)

For real though, I’d like to know about your relationship with your bible. Each of us could likely be spending more time in the scriptures. I find it more enjoyable and beneficial to my own life when I’m reading it with others. Pastor Cindy sent me a reminder that says we don’t just read the bible, we let the Bible read us. So whether you read the bible or you allow it to read you, would you mind replying and telling me about you and your bible? I don’t have one, let me know, I can get you one.

I’ve also found it incredibly helpful and often easier to read some other resources to help me to make sense of the bible. Here are a few:
1. Making Sense of the Bible by Adam Hamilton.
2. What is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything by Rob Bell.
3. Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible by Rachel Held Evans

Rob and Rachel will get you excited to read your bible and Adam will help you craft some really good theology about scripture. If you like to read, I recommend reading all 3. I also keep a Bible Reading Log app on my phone to track what I’ve read. There’s something about checking the boxes that keep me reading. However, reading scripture, like everything in our faith journeys is about so much more than checking boxes. We read because we encounter God when we do. Sharing your experience of your encounter with God lifts all those involved. So find a buddy, or a small group, or shoot me a message whenever you’re reading something so we can encounter God together.

Blessings,
Pastor Trevor
Pastor Trevor Vaughn
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave.
West Des Moines, IA 50265
---------------------------------------------------------
Worship with us from your home or anywhere you can jump online on Sundays at 9:30 am. A lot of the church will watch together on Facebook but you can also find our worship videos are posted on our website (wdmumc.org), Facebook, and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment