Wednesday, October 3, 2018

"Midweek and Thinking About My First Job" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 10/03/2018


Good morning friends!


Here are WDMUMC we are in the second week of our Stewardship Campaign.  Earn. Save. Give. Healthy disciples, healthy church, healthy world.  My challenge this week is to write a sermon on what we earn.  I have to admit I haven’t thought a lot about what I earn and how that is linked to my faith.  I think a lot about what I give.  I tithe 12% of my income.  But I haven’t thought about what I earn, or if I deserve it.


This all has me thinking about my first job.  Do you remember your first job?  I was 14 years old when I began working in the kitchen of the local hospital from 4-7 pm.  As soon as school was out, I hurried to the hospital.  I put on a lime green uniform and a hairnet (ugh) and went to the hot steamy kitchen where I worked with the cook and two other teens to prepare the supper meal for the staff and the patients.


I had no idea what I was doing. Fortunately, I had compassionate co-workers who taught me how to work.  I learned to peel potatoes and wash lots of pots and pans and dishes.
 

There is a minor miracle in this.  I learned that I could have an impact on the world around me.  I learned that my work could be valued.  I think this is an essential rite of passage from childhood to adulthood.  We learn to work.


For my work, I was paid the minimum wage at the time:  $1.25 an hour.  The other teens and I thought we were rich.  With our earnings, we could go to the movies and the A&W.  If we saved for a few weeks, we could buy a new pair of jeans.


There were adults who worked alongside us.  I am sure they had more important things to spend their money on.  It amazes me to think they worked a 40 hour week for $50.  Today the minimum wage in Iowa is $7.25.  Work a 40 hour week and earn $290.


So what was your first job?  How much were you paid?  Did you earn it?  I wonder about what we are paid and what we deserve and what is valued and what this all has to do with faith.  I don’t find any evidence of Jesus ever receiving a paycheck.  What did he deserve?  Is his work valued?


So I am off to read and pray and ponder and (hopefully, eventually) write a sermon.   That’s my work today.  Hope to see you on Sunday and we will see where this all leads.


Every blessing to you,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines Iowa 50265


Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org

We worship on Sunday mornings at 8:30 in a traditional way and 11 in a casual way.  We would love to worship with you.


This week at WDMUMC:

Midweek Refuel tonight!  Supper is served at 5:30.  And tonight lasagna is on the menu!  Check out our website for details, wdmumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment