Wednesday, May 12, 2021

"Midweek and a Prayer in Changing Times" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 05/12/2021

 


Friends,

Is it safe to come out?  What’s your assessment of the pandemic?  I asked someone yesterday if he thought the pandemic was over.   He thought it was beginning to shift from a pandemic (an acute worldwide disease) to an endemic (a disease that is common among the people).  An endemic is more manageable.  It is still serious, but the medical community is better equipped to address it, and we have greater immunity.  We have vaccines. 

But even as this shift is beginning to happen, we are being told to be cautious. 

Throughout this last year, we have been vigilant, trying to respond to the pandemic responsibly.  In some ways, the year has felt like a time-out.  

And yet while we have been taking this time out, life continued.  Babies have been born.  Children have gotten taller.  Students have graduated from high school and college.  Couples have fallen in love.  The elderly have gotten older.  Loved ones have died. 

Life seems to insist on going on. 

Throughout the year, we have had to adapt, and now we adapt yet again to a new reality.  Pandemics aren’t the only thing that presents us with a new reality.  A new baby, a new job, graduation, retirement, an injury or illness that changes our physical capabilities, the death of a loved one.  They can all bring us to a new reality.  When I hit a new reality time, it feels like a soul shift, a change in thinking.  How do I live into this new reality? 

Lately, I have been thinking about a particular prayer.  It happens to be “The Covenant Prayer in the in the Wesleyan Tradition in contemporary language.”  Don’t let the long title overwhelm you.  It is just a prayer. 

This prayer is like a parachute drop.  When I read it, I feel as if I am saying to God “ok, drop me into this new reality.  This is the life you have surrounded me with, drop me in—and go with me.” 

So here is the prayer. 

God of all,

I am no longer my own, but yours.

Put me to what you will, place me with whom you will.

Put me to doing, put me to suffering,

Let me be put to work for you, or set aside for you,

Praised for you, or criticized for you.

Let me be full, let me be empty.

Let me have all things, let me have nothing.

I freely and fully surrender all things to your glory and service.

And now, O wonderful and holy God, Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer,

you are mine, and I am yours. 

So be it.

And the covenant which I have made on earth,

Let it also be made in heaven.

Amen

I think it is safe to come out. 

Blessings,

Pastor Cindy

Pastor Cindy Hickman

West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at WDMUMC.org.

And join in for worship!

In-person at 8:30 in the sanctuary.  Please wear a mask!  This service is Livestreamed!

And, our On-Line Worship premieres at 9:30 on our Facebook page.  Worship in the way that is right for you!

This Week at WDMUMC

All Church Picnic Tonight!  5:30 at Raccoon River Park in the shelters.  Sue W and Liz F have prepared supper for us!  Come and bring your lawn chair!  Great time to see people you haven’t seen in a while! 

Baptism!  This Saturday Isaiah James Hardman, son of Libby (Stoffer) and Zachery Hardman will be baptized.  Congratulations to everyone!  Including proud grandparents, Dick and Peggy Stoffer! 

In Memorial

A memorial service will be held for Kathy Hunzelman on Monday, May 17th at 11 am.  Kathy and her family have been members of WDMUMC since 1973.  Kathy is the mother of Lindsey Sheeder.  A visitation will be held on Sunday, May 16th from 2-4 at Hamilton’s on Westown Parkway.  Our prayers go out to the Hunzelman family in the loss of their mother and grandmother.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment