Tuesday, July 14, 2020

"Midweek and I Have a Wacky Idea" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 07/14/2020



Hello everyone,

I have this wacky idea.

I believe that every day God will show me something new.  I believe that every day I will grow a little deeper in my understanding of who God is, and who I am, and how this world works.  That means I have to be ready every day for some fresh way of seeing the world.

Case in point.  This morning a young mom shared how scared she is for her children during this pandemic.  If school is open this fall, should they attend?  Are they becoming depressed from being cut off from other children?  And she is not only a parent, but she is also employed.  How does she juggle child care and her work requirements?  And is she safe going to work?  Could she bring COVID home to her children?

I knew all this.  I am a grandmother, and I watch what is happening at my daughter’s house with my grandchildren.  Parents are making very hard decisions.

But then she went on to ask, can the church do something about this?  That was a new thought, the moment when God cracked open possibilities.

Could the church do something about this? Help some way?

I don’t know.

But I have this wacky trust that every day God will show me something new.  God will nudge the door of grace to open a little wider.

And, I believe, God will not abandon me to what is revealed.  God will not show me something and then leave me to wallow in my anxiety.

In my wacky way of understanding God, I believe when God reveals something, God will also lead.
So I just emailed the principal at Hillside, our neighborhood elementary.  I am very grateful I don’t have his job, especially now.  And I am very grateful he does because he is a very good principal.  I asked if our church could help in any way.

And as for the mom who shared her worries, now I am wondering how I can help her.
All because I have this wacky idea that every day God is in it, in my life, in our world, nudging, shoving, pulling, hoping, us forward.

Do you think it is wacky to believe that every day God shows us something new? Reveals a new way of thinking?  And leads us to live faithfully with this new understanding?

What did God show you today?

Blessings,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman

West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines, Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org.

Join us for worship this Sunday online at 9:30.  We are exploring the ways we know God.  As United Methodists, we believe that we know God through scripture, church traditions, experience, and reason.  This Sunday Pastor Trevor will share how he has come to know God through his experiences.  Read John 9:1-11 to prepare!

And Sunday evening at 6:45 join us for Parking Lot Worship.  Wear masks, bring a lawn chair, or remain in your car to social distance.  Come and worship!

No comments:

Post a Comment