Wednesday, June 3, 2020

"Midweek: Who Lives in Your Village?" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 06/03/2020



Good morning!

This Sunday Pastor Trevor is preaching about community.  That has me thinking about my community, the people who surround me.

I have moved a lot in my life, but everywhere I have lived, I have had a community.  To me,  community is more than a population of people in one place.  To me, it is a connection to people.   Community weaves us together, strengthens us, makes us better.

I don’t want to intrude on Pastor Trevor’s sermon, but the topic has me thinking about the communities and towns and villages where I have lived, places where my soul has felt at home, and where I have felt the presence of God.  I want to celebrate that.  So in random order, here are the communities I am celebrating…

Married student housing at the University of Michigan and the moms and families who played at the sandbox outside our door.

My high school buddies.

The kitchen crew at People’s Memorial Hospital where I worked when I was in high school.

The women of Hagemann Hall at the University of Northern Iowa.

Friends in Sturgeon Bay, Door County Wisconsin.

Twisted Sisters, my covenant group.

The community at St Paul School of Theology.

Linn Grove United Methodist Church.

Bloomfield United Methodist Church.

My Thursday Lunch Bunch.

The staff of WDMUMC.

A Driveway Bunch that has been a new blessing.

My sibs and their spouses and kids.

Every mission trip team I have traveled with.

As I write this, I am aware of how at home I feel in these communities.  In their presence, I can be the real me, honest about my struggles, asking questions, celebrating even silly things, there is laughter and when there is sorrow, the group provides shelter.

Right now, in our world, we are facing big questions about community.  Can we keep our communities safe by not spreading COVID?  Are our communities open and safe for everyone?
I encourage you to think about the communities that have been important to you, the people who make up your towns and villages.  And on Sunday we will all celebrate community with Pastor Trevor.  Can’t wait!

Stay well.

Blessings,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines, Iowa 50265

Like us on Facebook or visit us at WDMUMC.org

And join us for worship on Sunday mornings at 9:30 on our website or Facebook.  

This Week At WDMUMC:  
On line Worship.  We are continuing on-line worship for the foreseeable future.  We are surveying our church community to gather ideas about when and how we will return to in-person worship.  If you have not already responded to the survey, you can find it at  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5S5TNQ3.  Our church council will be meeting via zoom on June 15th to discuss the responses and our plans going forward.

Remembering Those Who Have Died of COVID  On Monday our church joined with churches across the metro ringing our church bell for each person in Iowa who has died of COVID.  At the time of this writing, there have been 566 deaths in Iowa.  Please pray for the families who have lost loved ones.  There is a discussion of doing this again.  We will keep you posted.

Vacation Bible School in Your Backyard! Your children can enjoy VBS at home on June 14-18!  Register at our website and we will get the materials to you!

Communion!  This Sunday following our worship service, Pastor Trevor will live stream a time of Holy Communion.  If you would like to join in, have bread and juice or water ready.

Everybody Eats!  This week we will make our first delivery of packs of food to 180 homes.  The food will reach hundreds of children.  The goodness of God in a grocery bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment