Wednesday, August 21, 2019

"Midweek and We've Got Rules" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 08/21/2019



Good morning,
This summer I have been sharing what it means to be Methodist.  I love being a Methodist.  It suits me and seems like the best path for me to grow as a disciple.  I love that grace, God’s unrelenting love, is at the core of our tradition.

So today, I want to share one more thing about being Methodist:  we have rules.

I think we often bristle at the idea of rules.  Americans are fiercely independent.  We want to do things our way.  But the truth is, good rules work.  Do you remember the first rule you were told?  Maybe it was “don’t touch a hot stove” or “look both ways when you cross the street.”  I think the thing that makes a rule a good rule is if it benefits the one receiving the rule, the one making the rule, and the common good of everyone.  Staying in your lane on the freeway—that’s a good rule.

So we Methodists have three rules:
Rule #1:  Do no harm. 
When I think of this rule, my mom immediately comes to mind.  My mom moved through her life with gentleness, careful not to hurt anyone or anything.  She was kind to people for sure, but she was especially kind to the environment, long before anyone was an environmentalist.  She was very careful about the way she used the earth’s resources.  Her washing machine had a feature called a “suds saver” which meant that the rinse water could be used over and over.  My mother would carefully sort the laundry, washing lightly soiled clothes first, and then reusing the rinse water each time.  It was a heck of a lot of work, but it reduced the amount of water used.  She hung clothes on the line to dry to save energy.  This all saved money, but more than that, it was a do-no-harm way of using resources.  It all may seem silly now in our convenience-filled world.  When I turn off a light in an empty room or when I avoid plastic water bottles, I think of my mom.  She would have never thought of herself as an environmentalist.  She was just gentle in the way that she lived.

Rule #2:  Do good.
I heard Cindy McCain on National Public Radio this morning.  It has been a year since John McCain died and as a means of honoring him, the family is urging people to be more civil toward one another.  If you go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Od_sFRFdo you can see Cindy McCain’s suggestions.

When I was a young adult, I was working in a miserable job.  It paid the rent that kept me going back to work each day.  One person I worked with was the only bright spot in the job.  She was an encourager.  She carried around hope and offered encouragement to others.  And so many people are hungry for encouragement.  We are often told what we are doing wrong.  Telling someone what they are doing right and expressing appreciation is a powerful thing.  (Thank you, Sue M for encouraging me.)

Rule #3:  Stay close to God. 
When we lived in Dubuque, I met a woman named Ruby S.  She was black and there were only one or two black families in Dubuque.  At the time that we lived there, there were cross burnings and there were other racial incidents.  One night when I was driving home, I saw two men in Klansman garb crossing the street.  Being a black family in that environment was very difficult.  Ruby spoke at our church.  She said that as she drove around the city, she thought of God riding beside.  As she said this, she patted the chair next to her.  God right there beside her.
So those are the rules.  Just three.  They look simple, but they are the kind of rules that are re-learned every day.  They lead us deeper and deeper into grace.  They are good rules.

What does do no harm, do good, and stay close to God mean
·         When there is so much violence in the world?  How should I respond to school shootings?
·         When I vote?  In our politics?  In our divisions?
·         When I pick a place to park at church, knowing that we have limited space for parking?
·         In the way I spend my money?
·         In the current debate over human sexuality in our denomination?
·         When we realize there is hunger in our neighborhood?
·         When I reflect on my own soul and my behaviors?

Being Methodist is more than what we believe.  It is a way living and growing in grace that challenges us.  For that I am grateful.  Our lives have meaning.

Thanks for sharing the journey.

Every blessing,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines, Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org
We worship on Sundays in a traditional way at 8:30 and in a casual way at 11.  You are invited!

This week at wdmumc:
Time for a celebration!
·         Our State Fair Food Stand was a huge success!  We served up good food, made friends and had fun.  Through our efforts, we will fund our mission projects throughout the year.  We “Shared the Mission” with friends from DMARC, Habitat and Orchard Place and they will all receive financial gifts for their missions!

·         Everybody eats!  We have made that commitment and this summer wdmumc volunteers provided 1,822 weekend packs of food in local parks and schools.

·         Priscilla Joel, our ministry intern, shared her gifts with us throughout the summer.  She has now returned to school and we look forward to watching her career unfold.

Blessing of the Backpacks and Car Keys this Sunday!  It is time for a new school year and we will send our students off with our blessing during our worship services this Sunday.

In Gathering!  Methodist across Iowa prepare packs to be sent to places of poverty and disasters.  This Sunday we will share more about how you can help.

See you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment