Wednesday, April 24, 2019

"Midweek Wonder" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 04/24/2019



Hello everyone,
The Hallelujah chorus from our Easter Sunday worship is still echoing in my mind.  Beautiful!  I’ve also been thinking about the last words from Sunday’s scripture:  Peter returned home, wondering what had happened.  Luke 24:12.

How are you at wondering?  Wondering is such a delicious thing.  Amazement, curiosity, surprise, it all gets bundled up into wonder.  Children are especially good at wonder.  We, adults, have had some of the wonder wrung out of us.  I think faith requires wonder.

I wonder how the world became so beautiful and how the big full moon we’ve seen recently can shine on us with such confidence.  

I wonder what fills children with so many giggles that they spill out and why the wrinkled hand of an old man can carry the stories of a lifetime.

I wonder at the way my friend became my friend, just day by day grace, until one day I understood that we would always hold one another in our hearts.

I wonder at the way God opens up space for conversation over coffee and then use that conversation to bind us together.  

I wonder along with Peter.  What did happen in that tomb?  I feel redemption.  I know redemption. I wonder at the power of redemption. 

And I wonder at the love of God.

It is still Easter.

Every blessing,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org.

We worship at 8:30 and 11.  This Sunday a Jazz Combo will lead our worship as we continue our Easter celebration.  Hope to see you there!

This week at WDMUMC: 
Tonight!  Supper is on at 5:30!  Baked ziti and corn casserole, salad bar and scrumptious desserts!  Your free will offering will feed neighborhood children this summer.
Nourish, Our Young Women’s Group is reading Girl Wash Your Face!  Nourish your soul with good conversation!  They meet tonight at 6:30 and of course you are invited!
Spring Clean Up!  Saturday from 9-12!  Come and show a little love for the church!  BYOR!  (Bring your own rake!)
Omelet Breakfast!  Sunday morning you can worship AND enjoy a great breakfast.
All good!  See you at church! 

No comments:

Post a Comment