Friday, January 12, 2018

"How Does One Become a Disciple?" - Rachel Olson - January 10, 2018


SHHHHHH!! Pastor Cindy’s out and I am taking over the midweek devotion. I want to begin by saying “Thank You” for welcoming me into your church! With the people I have met so far, I can feel that God has big plans for WDMUMC. This got me thinking, what makes this such a great church? Is it the building? The weekly activities held here? The staff? Or people of the church being disciples? This led me to wonder how does one become a disciple.

A disciple of Jesus can be defined as being a worshiper, a servant, and a witness. It might seem overwhelming to be a disciple, but having faith in Christ and only worshiping Him is a great start. Are we going to mess up? Of course, we are only human. We then need to be able to see that something such as money, career or family is our priority and as GPS says “recalculating,” and turn back to Him. This will take practice, but the relationships you will make and the peace you will feel is so worth the journey.

Creating relationships is wrapped around being a servant. Serving those next door, down the street or even beyond. Even Jesus had served the disciples by washing their feet and giving the commandment to love one another. “…As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34 During my one year break from working full time, it was all about me…I was on empty and I needed a lot of “me” time to get filled up again and gain a positive outlook on life. I was anxious beginning a new job, wondering will my serving attitude come back or would I have a constant struggle between serving others and serving myself. The transformation was amazing and I’m able to be a witness again.

“…As the Father has sent me, I am sending you” John 20:21. We are all on a mission to be His witness to the great love and grace He gives us every day. Just as Jesus was sent for a purpose, so are we, to reveal God and tell of His good news. To do this there is no need to stand in the middle of a busy intersection shouting how you are saved, but reflect on those times that God has shown up in your life and SHARE.


With our world full of busyness and anxiety, people are searching for hope and peace. As we understand more about becoming a worshiper, servant and a witness we can start to change the world. As we begin or continue our disciple walk, we will bring hope to others and sometimes not even realize the lives we have changed. God knows where you are today, and He knows how to get you where you need to be. Trust Him and follow His lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment