Monday, August 12, 2013

A Call to Fervent Prayer


A Pastoral Letter
Call to Fervent Prayer

Throughout the Scripture, we see prophets, apostles, disciples and common Christians calling on God’s people to pray…to pray with urgency; to pray with passion and fervency; to pray with faith and courage.  They prayed for cleansing of hearts and souls, for the turning around of hardened hearts, for love, for peace, for reconciliation; for unity; they prayed for God to give victory in the bleakest moments of their lives, they prayed for nations, leaders and rulers to turn to holiness of God. God always answered beyond their expectations!

I’ve been doing a lot of reflection lately; I’ve been fasting and praying for our church.  In the quiet and reflective moments I’ve had with God, I’ve been personally convicted… I asked myself as much planning and preparations I am making for the coming season of Fall, how much of time am I really spending with God and asking God to bless the work of my hands?  I am so grateful for the countless number of leaders in our church and staff who are working diligently to prepare for the months ahead.  And yet, how are we preparing our hearts spiritually? How are we being nurtured with God’s strength, guidance and wisdom for all that we will undertake, so as we engage ourselves in the building of God’s kingdom?  How are we aligning ourselves with God’s plans for us (and not solely our plans)? How are we soaking and saturating all that we are doing with the power of prayer?

These questions certainly give me moments of pause.  There is power in prayer; there is power when God blesses what we do; there is power in prayer because it will break and shatter forces that are at work to destroy and divide that which we are seeking to build.  There is wonder working power when we surrender all we have and all we are into God’s hands and let God pave the way forward. When we don’t engage ourselves in intentional seasons of prayer, we not only weaken and disable ourselves, we strengthen the negative forces. When we don’t pray we not only deplete strength from ourselves, we also give strength to powers that are at work to steal, destroy and kill.

I’ve always believed that prayer is not for defense, rather it is for offense! So, it is with this genuine spirit I call upon you to pray for our church; please pray for your pastors and staff; please pray for leaders and all those engaged in ministry and service; please pray for every ongoing ministry and new initiatives we will courageously undertake. Please pray that love, unity, peace, strength and the almighty power of Christ will prevail and abide with strength.
I’ve made a commitment to fast and pray three days a week throughout the month of August.  

However God may call on you to engage in this season of prayer, I invite you to stand with me in fervent prayer for the ongoing and faithful work of our church. Remember, we have, in prayer, the greatest power on earth!

Pastor Wesley SK Daniel, Lead Minister



No comments:

Post a Comment