Saturday, October 27, 2012

Make a Bed - Keep them Fed


October 17, 2012 – WDMUMC UMY to Hope Ministries for “Make a Bed – Keep Them Fed”


Do you know what it feels like to go hungry? Would you know where to go for help? Would you feel scared, alone, embarrassed, or grateful and loved? These were some of our thoughts as over 20 youth and 6 adults went to the Bethel Mission in Des Moines on Wednesday, October 17th. The group participated in Make a Bed – Keep Them Fed at the Hope Ministries emergency shelter for homeless men. We brought food items for the Hope Café as well as new bedding and pillows. The youth were divided into four groups, which each group was assigned a bed number and provided the first name of the gentleman who would be sleeping there.  We removed the old bedding, put on the new sheets and pillows, put on a new quilt from another church group, and then folded them back to make the bed inviting. Following those tasks, we then wrote notes of encouragement to the men who would sleep in those beds that night and then the group prayed together for each man by name. Here are some of the thoughts shared by the youth following this eye-opening and touching experience.



  •  Jack – “We learned what it was like for people less fortunate than us. It felt good to give someone else hope. It was fun when we prayed as a group because all of us got to participate and add something to the prayer. I want to do this again.”
  • Charlie – “It was a learning experience to actually see how others may live. It gave me the opportunity to realize how special even one video game is when I see those who have no games.”
  • Bre – “I was surprised by the number of beds at the shelter. It was fun to write the encouraging card and hopefully helping them with encouragement and hope.”
  • Breanna – “It reminded me that we have so much more than we need. We get caught up in our everyday life that we forget about those with no food and no place to sleep. I am looking forward to help with other Hope Ministries needs and activities.”
  • Sidney – “It was fun but so sad to see all of the men who were there. I had not really thought about it that much, so it was surprising to see. It felt good to help them without even seeing them. It was an excellent experience!”
  • Nate – “It was eye-opening to see the number of homeless men. It was also great to see the number of people committed to helping other in a Christian manner. It felt good to help those less fortunate.”
  • Carson – “I would like some of my Christmas money to go to Hope Ministries.”


It was an amazing experience for all and made us all think of our many blessings. David Burrier from Hope Ministries reminded us of Mathew 25:35-40 – “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”

Darin Woodwood, West Des Moines UMC member

No comments:

Post a Comment