Wednesday, August 19, 2020

"Midweek and Embracing Humility" Pastor Trevor's Devotion 08/19/2020

 

Hello Church, 

Do you ever have an assumption proven wrong? I woke up a couple of days ago with what I assumed was a spider bite or something on my forearm. It was super itchy. So I scratched it. Most of you probably know that was a mistake. It spread very rapidly where I scratched. I’ve been fighting the urge to scratch this spider bite for a few days. I’ve done well. It’s remained super itchy but I haven’t scratched it! I asked someone else what the heck is up with the spider bite and I showed them arm. They replied, "Yeah, that’s poison ivy." I couldn’t believe it. Poison ivy has never caused me to rash out before. I assumed two things. First, it was just a spider bite. Second, I wasn’t affected by poison ivy. Well damn, I was wrong on both accounts! Once I had some help identifying what was wrong, I could address the issue correctly. Thank God for other people. 

Our confirmation students had our final retreat tonight. We met in the parking lot and talked about all of the things we’ve learned and the questions we still have. Some students assumed that by the end of confirmation they wouldn’t have any more questions. Some students mentioned that they assumed some of the adults in the church had all of this figured out. Once they learned that all of us adults are still learning and wrestling with questions and struggling with doubt, they felt much better about their own spaces and faith journeys. They felt like they could join a church that didn’t have all the answers and that relied on one another for growth. They were excited about that. 

This week, I simply want to encourage you to embrace humility. You don’t know have to know everything. Wrestling is good. Having each other in our lives is a blessing. Thank God for other people. Thank God for you - the church.

Pastor Trevor
Pastor Trevor Vaughn
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave.
West Des Moines, IA 50265

-----------------------------------------

Upcoming:

We worship online every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. via Facebook and YouTube. Our services go live at 9:25 a.m. to give you extra time to get signed in. Join us! This week our ministry partners, including some of our youth, from Simpson Youth Academy will be leading worship.

Bar+Church continues every Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Twisted Vine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment