Wednesday, May 27, 2020

"Midweek and We are Praying" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 05/27/2020



Hello everyone—
What are you praying for these days?  I think it is curiously wonderful that there is a constant invisible conversation going on between God and people every day, all day, and well into the night.
There’s power in that conversation.  Prayer draws us closer to God.  We invite what is holy and sacred to fill us and when it fills us, God uses us to change the world.

So today, I want to tell you what I am praying about. Feel free to reply and share what you are praying about.

I am praying
·         For the pandemic to end.
·         That I find steadiness in this uncertain time. (This pandemic has rattled me.)
·         For a better understanding of the privileges I have and how God wants me to use them.
·         That no more black men die in the hands of the police.
·         For people with Covid19.
·         For people facing health crises during this time when their families cannot visit them in the hospital.
·         For people who are grieving.
·         For my children and grandchildren.  That is an unending prayer.
·         To heal the anger and blame in our country.
·         For our church.  I offer prayers pondering how and when we will emerge from this time.
·         For our elderly who live with such courage.
·         For our children, for the fear they may be feeling now.
·         Late at night, I look out the window and pray about how beautiful the world is.
·         That I might do a good job of being a pastor.
·         For forgiveness when I have been unkind.
·         About how connected we are, even when we have to be social distancing.  How much we enjoy seeing each other’s faces, hearing each other’s voices.
·         For clarity about what is the best thing to do at this time, at this moment.
·         For the day before me.
·         For L. and R. and J. and C.  For so many people who have been a blessing in my life. 

Prayers of thanks.  Prayers of wondering. Prayers that ask for help.  Prayers that are just chatting with God about things I don’t understand.  Prayers of awe.

Last week in my prayers, I heard God speak to me in the way God speaks.  I know it is God because it is a combination of wisdom and grace that takes me beyond the narrowness of my soul.  Last week I heard God say “a lot of things are out of your control.”  Clear as could be.

I know it is God when it feels like good news.  A lot of things are out of my control.  That was good news.

Let go, Cindy, and just breathe. 

That’s what God said to me.  I think God wanted to me share that with you.

I hope you and God are having rich wonderful conversations.  Let me know what you are praying, and what God has been saying to you.  

Every blessing,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave
West Des Moines, Iowa 50265
515-279-026

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmucm.org.

And join us for on line worship every Sunday morning at 9:30.  

This week at WDMUMC:
New Sermon Series!  We kick off a new sermon series (Re)New Promises!

Everybody Eats is making preparations to send out bags of food next week.

Good Neighbors!  Our good neighbors, the patrons of Charlie’s Filling Station lead a food drive and provided hundreds of items for our Little Food Pantry.  Together, we are feeding the neighborhood!

Looking for Your Thoughts We will be sending out a survey to gather information about returning to in-person worship.  Watch for the survey in the mail or on-line.  And send your thoughts and ideas to the church.

And also this week, in your homes and neighborhoods, may you love God and serve your neighbors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment