Wednesday, April 29, 2020

"A Midweek Assignment" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 04/29/2020



Hello friends,
I am giving you an assignment for today.  It comes from Paul in the book of Philippians, chapter 4:6-8.

6 Don’t be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. 7 Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus.

8 From now on, brothers and sisters, if anything is excellent and if anything is admirable, focus your thoughts on these things: all that is true, all that is holy, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, and all that is worthy of praise. 9 Practice these things: whatever you learned, received, heard, or saw in us. The God of peace will be with you.

If your thoughts are like my thoughts these days, they are busy processing all that is going on.  My schedule has changed so much, my mind is working to figure out what to do each day.  I just returned from the adventure of getting groceries.  A kind person put them in the trunk while I waited in my car, not the usual mind-relaxing browsing I am used to.  My mind has been enjoying evening walks.  And at the same time, in the back of my mind, I worry.  I feel the undertow of concern, that pulls us all into fear and anxiety.

So I have an assignment for us all.  I want us to do as Paul asks.  I want us to fill our minds with goodness.  You can do this in prayer through a time of meditation, praying this scripture over and over. But I also encourage you to do this actively, using your skills and interests.  Whether you are a writer, or a painter or a gardener, or a carpenter, or a scrapbooker, I would like you to create something true and holy and lovely and worthy of praise.  A song?  A collage?  A lovely cake?  Something.  Invite the kids to choose one word from this scripture and create it somehow.
And then send me a picture or a video. 

Be kind to your mind.

Paul promises that when we fill our minds with goodness, the peace of God will meet us there.
In a few minutes, I will be recording the prayer for Sunday.  I will be thinking of you.  I will be thinking of Paul’s words.   I want the prayer to be beautiful.  I want it to be blessed by God’s peace.
Stay well.  Stay in. You are saving lives.

Grateful for you.

Blessings,
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org.  You can contact the church through our website.
And join us for livestreaming worship on Sunday at 9:30!

Happenings at WDMUMC!
Calling all Kids to Zoom into Sunday School every Sunday morning!  Email Morganne, our Christian Education Director, to find out how!
 
#JustRead zooms every Tuesday at 4:30.  We just read the bible and talk about it.  Feel like a rookie to bible study?  You will fit right in!

Sweet Gossip!  Send your sweet gossip to Pastor Cindy and we will publish it in the Link. Good things are happening in the world! 

And reply to this email if you would like to share how you are doing with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment