Tuesday, June 19, 2018

"My To-Do List?" Pastor Cindy's Devotion 06/19/18


In last week’s midweek, I presented God with my to-do list and I asked God to bless it.  Prayer is really a conversation.  We should listen at least as much as we talk.   Curious things happen when I pray AND listen.

Here’s today’s prayer.

Dear God,


Are you grinning at me?  I got your message.


It’s not about the list, is it?


It’s not about crossing off all my daily achievements.


It is not about placing a little check in front of “prep baptism” or “orientation plan for Morganne.” 
(And yes, I did add an item I had already completed just so I could cross it off.)


These things are important, and you have placed me here, and given me a job to do and gifts and abilities to do it.


But it, real authentic life, is not about a to-do list.
 

I hear you.


It is not about the tasks.  It’s about how I do the tasks, isn’t it?
 

Can I do the work before me in a loving manner?  Can I keep my eyes and heart open for your presence and your direction?


You expect me to love those around me.  Can I be a loving presence as I do my work?   That’s the big question.


Thank you for your patience with me.  Thank you for your early morning whispers that wake me up, body and soul.


Thank you for your grinning forgiveness as I stumble and find my way, again.


And, again.
Thank you for having “loving my children” on your to-do list.


Amen, Amen. 
Pastor Cindy
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Ave
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826


We worship at 8:30 and 11 on Sunday and we would love to worship with you.


This week at WDMUMC!
Blessing the Habitat House!  Wednesday at 11:30 you are invited to 3018 York Street, Des Moines for a brief service of blessing as the house is turned over to the new homeowner.  We built the panels for this house in our parking lot last October.  Our fingerprints will forever be in this house!  Come and join in the celebration!


Pounding and Prayer!  6:30 Wednesday.  Get in shape and have some fun.  Bring a friend!


All Church Clean Up!  Saturday from 9-3!  Let’s make the church shine!  Drop in or stay all day!



Mission Team Off to Detroit!  Sunday morning our mission team will head to Detroit.  Keep this group in your prayers and follow their adventures on Facebook.  (Sorry, no midweek next week.  Pastor Cindy will be in Motown!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment