Wednesday, January 17, 2018

"Detours" - Rachel Olson - January 17, 2018

Good afternoon friends-

How do you handle detours, big or small?


This past Monday, as the temperatures were below freezing again, I look outside and see a beautiful sundog. The sun that brings us warmth is giving me a glimpse of a rainbow. That rainbow gives me hope during a time I am experiencing detours. Where am I? I am sitting at a body shop getting a battery for my van, detour. My daughter fractured her pinky finger and hasn’t been able to compete at her first 2 meets this season, detour. Last Thursday, the ice storm put limitations on how I was able to work and could have put me a day behind, detour. This past Sunday morning as I was getting ready to visit my grandfather who was in the hospital, I received a call that he had passed. That was a major detour! How do I continue my discipleship path when hit with these detours? Romans 8:28 came to mind. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”


Detours come in all shapes and sizes, but all of them share one thing in common...we didn’t see them coming. They catch us off guard, leaving us feeling frustrated, confused, curious and even heart-broken. We question God; why did this happen, at this time. The temptation is to become discouraged, even angry at God, as we experience our faith being rocked. Do we fight it? Do we take a deep breath and submit?


As we experience life, God changes our plans. We choose how we respond. 


Perhaps the lesson we can learn from these experiences is that when we take such detours we might try taking the time to enjoy the detour. What do we see along the detour that we would have missed going our own way? What is it God is trying to focus our attention on? As I reflect on my detours and ponder why God used these at this time, I truly can’t see the big picture, God’s picture. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that things are being worked out for our good. The only thing I can do is...TRUST. To put my faith in God’s plan and continue to worship, serve and be a witness. I have to trust that all things work for good as in Romans 8:28. My grandfather was 95 years old. He lived a long, good life and was at peace. Now I will continue on my disciple journey holding on to his memories

.
Join us this Sunday for Max Wellman and Friends concert at 4 pm.  A part of the Music & More on Grand series.


Annual Celebration January 27th at 5 pm!  Everyone is invited for an evening of fun thanking our retiring leaders, installing new leaders and looking at our plans for 2018.  RSVP to Sandy Law at 223-1189 or slaw.2@hotmail.com.


Blessings,
Rachel


Rachel Olson

West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

No comments:

Post a Comment