Tuesday, July 4, 2017

My Cup Runneth Over - Pastor Cindy's Devotional - July 4, 2017


Pastor Cindy gets fired up and encouraged on Sunday mornings, but by Wednesday her enthusiasm is sometimes sagging a bit.  In order to re-energize she writes a midweek devotion each week.  You can receive the devotion by visiting our Facebook page or our Blog or via email.  Whatever works for you.  And you are encouraged to share these devotions with family and friends. 
 
Hello, friends!
My cup runneth over.
Those are old-fashioned words from the King James version of the 23rd Psalm.  They are a metaphor.  We always talk about God in metaphors.  We create “word pictures” because mere words are inadequate when it comes to describing God.  God is bigger than our words. 

What do you see when you imagine my cup runneth over?  Maybe we can imagine filling a glass with soda at Panera.  We push the button and the soda shoots into our glass.  And the glass fills up.  But the soda doesn’t stop.  It keeps coming.  It pours over the sides of the glass and it fills up the tray beneath our glass.  Then it spills out onto the counter and then over the edge of the counter and onto the floor.  It surrounds our feet and then spreads out to every table and every booth in the restaurant.  The soda seeps into the kitchen.  The people behind the counter are standing in soda.  Someone opens the door and with a whoosh, the soda pours into the street and it becomes a giant wave.  Someone grabs a surfboard and rides the wave.  And the liquid flows on and on in every direction. 

The person who wrote the 23rd Psalm was describing the abundant and good life God gives us.  They were describing God’s unending grace.  They were “surfing” God’s goodness.    (Okay, people in ancient Israel did not surf.  Still, thinking of disciples on surfboards is an interesting picture.  And it is hot today as I write this and the thought of surfing is refreshing.) 

Currently, in my life, my cup runneth over. 

On Saturday I walked from my house to the church with so many wonderful people.  Disciples on the move.  Walking through the metro we love.  Walking toward a new time. 

And my cup runneth over. 

Sunday was my first Sunday as the pastor of West Des Moines United Methodist Church, it was so good to worship with you.  So many hugs!  (If you are not a hugger please know that handshakes or even bumping elbows are also an appropriate greeting.) 

And my cup runneth over. 

Monday I began to settle into my office.  My office has been newly painted by kind volunteers.  There were several gifts waiting for me on my desk. 

And my cup runneth over. 

I walked through the church, stopping on every floor, flooded by memories of what had happened in these places, sacred because God formed friendships in these rooms.  Seeing to evidence of new ministries in these sacred places.   

And my cup runneth over. 

So many people have excitedly told me about their ministries: Wednesday Night Live, the State Fair Stand, the Bicycle Ministry, the Prayer Shawl Ministry, the Worship Team, the Missions Committee, Covenant Groups……and more and more. 

And my cup runneth over. 

Down the sides of the glass, across the floor, swirling around my feet, out the door, spilling into the street, and on and on beyond my sight. 

So much goodness!  So much to celebrate!  Grab a surfboard!  (I am overwhelmed!  I will need a life jacket too.)

Remember how the 23rd Psalm ends? 

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  Amen. 

And amen.

Glad to be among you in this cup-filling to overflowing time. 

Blessings,
Pastor Cindy Hickman
West Des Moines United Methodist Church
720 Grand Avenue
West Des Moines, Iowa 50265
515-279-0826

Like us on Facebook or visit us at wdmumc.org. 

This week at West Des Moines United Methodist Church:
We begin a new sermon series called “Our Grand Adventure.”  Someone once asked Jesus how we are to spend our lives.  He made it clear that we were all invited to an incredible adventure.  We worship at 8:30 and 11 and we would love to worship with you!


Calling all children!  Preparations are underway for Vacation Bible School July 16-20.  Check out our website for details.  

No comments:

Post a Comment