Monday, November 11, 2013

I Am a Church Member...Gary


See our other "I Am a Church Member" posts herehere and here

A famous person once said that 80% of success is showing up. In describing what church membership means to me there might be a tendency to reminisce. After all, I received my third grade bible from this church, achieved my Boy Scout God and County Award through this church and went through my 7th Grade confirmation class after which I was confirmed as a member of this church.

I have been and am still on numerous committees and boards. I have sung hundreds of solos and sung with three decades of choirs and small groups, all with this church. I have performed with the Last Supper Drama for 10 years now. I have sung for the women at the Mitchellville prison on behalf of this church.

I have seen major and minor additions, renovations and alterations of the physical appearance and structure of this church since I was a child.

I have taught Sunday school, both for children and adults and lead small groups with this church since 1986. I know of at least two parents out there in the congregation who were in my first 6th Grade Sunday school class.

I have attended a lot of weddings, funerals and baptisms and sung at quite a few, here in this church.

There have been a lot of potlucks, friends Christmases and Easters. I have worked closely many different pastors over the years, who were and are all wonderful people, by the way.

So, I have shown up. I have also lived in other places and have been associated with a few other churches besides WDMUMC over the years. I tried to “show up” there, too. All of this reminiscing is fine, but it really does not define membership or its meaning to me. I hope I am more than the repository of personal and corporate memories, or even more than, perhaps, a source of some maturing wisdom.

These various things about me “showing up” are certainly part of my path with Christ. Being a member is work, it is time, it is sometimes committing resources.

But being a member of this church is not about me or any one of us. Being a member is a chance to be part of something bigger, a legacy, a larger family of millions that started a long time ago and will continue long after we are gone.

We need each other. Jesus knew that. Jesus taught that. The church, as a community in faith, is vital to our world. This church right here is vital to this community and the larger world community. Together we affect the world around us for the better. Day by day, week by week, year by year.

We are all searching, trying to touch the face of God. I have found that I cannot go that journey alone. I have found that I cannot see what it means to follow Christ without you all.
WDMUMC has made a difference in my life to help grow closer to Christ and to further the work of Christ. Being a member has its costs, but, oh, what a return!

Gary Norton, WDMUMC member

No comments:

Post a Comment